Sister Jena Anderson

Sister Jena Anderson
Entered the MTC December 28th, 2011 and left for Kobe, Japan March 12th!

Monday, June 18, 2012

It's all in a day's work...investigators, sun screen, monopoly, Chinese cooking, lovin' the work, etc etc.



 Hey Fam! 
I love you! 
Welcome to your weekly Akashi report...
Here is my missionary pic on the ward board.
Time is flying here! This week has been super good, and crazy. Our
investigators are in and out of the picture, progressing and not, and
progressing! ha ha. They are so great. We are teaching an 11
year old named Kana Chan, who loves fun lessons. We've gotten really
creative. This week (or last?) I made a walk through plan of salvation
and we played Monopoly in Gense. (the world). 
She loved it!
We have another investigator who is Chinese, she called us today and told us to come over and she would teach us how to make Gyoza! 


I'll soon be a pro!
We play basketball for outreach every... 1,2,3 Saturday night. It's great. Mostly I just scream, but hopefully it's a little quieter in Japan...
you should see our 11 year old investigator imitate my hops. It's
really fun though! (half court of course). Tuesday here is Eikaiwa (English class). The Zone Leaders are in our area again. (maybe it is always that 
way? shiranai!) Sunday an investigator came to Church with her sister 
(who is a member), that we haven't seen since I came. It was so great to
teach her! The mission focus right now is really testifying from the
heart, which I really love... that's all I can really do in Japanese. :)
We are focusing on feelings! (ha ha "feelings!" you'd love this
training plan Jana!) The ward is super. I love them already. There is
a pretty good group that joined last year who are really strong. One
of our investigators said this week that she will come to Church
whether she gets baptized or not, for the rest that it is for her. 
(We will keep trying to help her!) I love this work. Sometimes it seems 
like we are just worrying about our investigators a lot, but I know that 
the Lord knows them. He helps us teach to our investigators needs. 
Tomorrow we have a Shimai Taikai... a Sisters Conference! (I come on a mission and I don't even have to miss Women's Conference.) 
It will be really fun. The only thing is that we got called and asked  
to recite an ansho (memorized thing)... and it is D&C 4! In Japanese...
and English. Ha ha! I just laughed. I'm about half way through. I 
know the Lord can help me memorize!
The members are really on board with missionary work. We
had an outreach barbeque this week. I'm still trying to figure out how
much of my and my American game side to incorporate over here... haha!
Tis the EFY counselor and Aspen Grove counselor coming out in me! I had
them write questions to ask each other, ha ha. It was interesting and 
didn't work as well as I had hoped. :)


I am so impressed with how much of the Lord's work this is. This is His 
work. Sometimes our investigators face obstacles that seem 
insurmountable for them, but then I am looking at the situation 
with only my eyes.
His eyes are on them. He knows every heartache, heartbeat. I know that
He moves mountains when we have faith. I know that He will help our
investigators in His timetable to come to Him.


"For behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth..." 


I received the package Mom! Thanks so much! I bought a few summer
shirts and... inherited some ha ha. They have these fancy arm covers
here and wear visors and hand covers on their bikes to keep away from the sun. And UV umbrellas. haha.
I came to a land where they are worried about the sun and they like fair skin! Yes! 
I wear sun screen but still have a bit of a watch line on my wrist... ha ha. I think I'm going to try the sun arms today! 


The family reunion looks like so much fun! Thanks for the pics. It is almost July - can you believe it?It is so fun to get to plan and live to try to help others receive the Gospel. I'm a missionary! It's so crazy to me. Today our
Chinese friends were asking me why I chose Japan to come to. It's
funny to say... I didn't! I know that there is someone who has SUCH a
bigger picture, for me and for every one of those people we talk to. I am so grateful I was chosen to come here!


Thanks so much for your support! Your letters really uplifted me
today. 


My doryo (companion) and I play gestures a lot and I resort to sound effects even more in a foreign language. I hope that is not a problem when I get home. :)  We are working hard and loving it!






LOVE YOU!


Your Dot...Sister Anderson




 recipe added by Mom Angelle

Gyoza - Japanese style dumplins
Gyoza is originally a Chinese dish, which has become very popular across Japan. This recipe shows how to make the gyoza dough and the gyoza filling. The time consuming and difficult part of making of the dough can be skipped by buying premade dough pieces, which are available at some Japanese and Chinese grocery stores.

Ingredients:

(for 30 Gyoza)


Dough:
170 mL water
200 g strong flour

Filling:
200 g ground pork
Cabbage
Nira*: can be substituted by leek or green onion 

Leek or Green onion
Garlic
Ginger
Sake*
Soya sauce, salt, and pepper
Sesame oil

Dipping Sauce:
Soya sauce
Vinegar
* This ingredient may not be available in Western supermarkets, but you should be able to find it in Japanese grocery stores that exist in most large European and American cities.
Preparation:

Dough:

Mix the water and the flour to a dough that should not be sticky but as soft as an ear lobe.
Put a wet towel over the dough, and let it stand for several minutes.
Separate the dough in 30 pieces, and form each of them to very thin discs with a diameter of about 10 cm. The middle of each disc should be a little bit thicker than the edge.

Filling:
Cut some green, outer cabbage leaves, some green onion (or leek), nira, ginger, and garlic in very small pieces. The amount of these ingredients should equal the amount of meat. Do it as you like.
Put some salt on the cabbage, and let it stand for five minutes. Then press the water out of the cabbage pieces.
Mix the cabbage, green onion (or leek), nira, ginger, garlic, and the ground pork all together, and add some salt, pepper, soya sauce, sake, and sesame oil. Mix it all very well.

Making and frying the Gyoza:
Put some of the filling onto a piece of dough. Remember that the filling should suffice for 30 gyoza pieces.
Moisten the edge of the dough with water. Moisten only a semicircle, not all the way around.
Close the gyoza. While closing it, fold the edge about 6 times as shown on the image.
Put the gyoza on the table as shown in the image.
Fry the Gyoza in a little bit of hot oil until the bottom is brownish, then add water so that the gyoza are in the water with about half of their hight.
Keep the high heat and wait until all the water has vaporized. Then remove the gyoza from the heat.
Dipping sauce: Mix the same amounts of soya sauce and vinegar together.
Serving and eating:

Eat gyoza pieces after dipping them in the dipping sauce.

General information:

In China dumplins are usually eaten either steamed, fried or in a soup. Japanese gyoza, however, are usually fried. There are many kinds of fillings used, e.g. with different seafood instead of the meat, other vegetable, etc.

Ruel and Jan Clark Family Reunion Pics



















































  







                                                                    Jana turned 40!












No comments:

Post a Comment